PEERS Social Skills for Teens Online Program
ADHD Support Australia is excited to be offering two PEERS® Social Skills for Teens groups via Telehealth starting 15th February 2021.
PEERS® stands for Program for the Education and Enrichment of Relational Skills.
The PEERS® program is an internationally acclaimed, evidence-based social skills group program for adolescents and young adults with social challenges.
Originally developed by Dr Elizabeth Laugeson at the University of California (UCLA) PEERS®, the programme has a strong evidence-base for use with adolescents and young adults with Aspergers/ASD, but is also highly appropriate for those with ADHD, anxiety, depression, learning difficulties, those who may be twice exceptional or gifted and talented or indeed anyone experiencing social challenges.
The program assists motivated teens and young adults with social challenges who are interested in learning ways to help them make and keep friends.
Explicitly teaching how to navigate common social challenges allows the formation of more positive relationships.
Teens learn how to …
* Develop & maintain friendships
* Improve conversational skills
* Choose appropriate friends & find common interests
* Appropriately use electronic forms of communication
* Appropriately use humour & assess humour feedback
* Start, enter & exit conversations between peers
* Organise successful get-togethers with friends
* Be a good sport when playing games and/or sports with friends
* Handle arguments & disagreements with friends
* Handle rejection, teasing, bullying, rumours/gossip & cyber bullying
* Change a bad reputation
PEERS® social skills for teens program details
PEERS® Social Skills for Teens is a 16-week online program for teens aged 13-17 who experience social challenges and are interested in learning new ways of making and keeping friends.
In weekly 90-minute online small group sessions, teens are taught important social skills and given the opportunity to practise these skills during socialisation activities in the session.
Parents or caregivers attend online 90-minute weekly small group sessions separately to their teens and are taught how to become their teen’s social coach – supporting them in practicing their new skills at home, coaching them during their weekly socialisation homework assignments and providing feedback.
Sessions are relaxed & fun whilst using evidence-based skill-teaching methods …
* Small group (7-10 participants)
* Safe environment where everyone finds success
* Didactic instruction (concrete easy to follow rules & steps)
* Socratic questioning method (a question/answer dialogue to draw out ideas)
* Teaches ecologically valid skills (skills that socially successful people use)
* Correct/Incorrect role play examples
* Role-playing and modelling practice of correct skills (behaviourial rehearsal)
* Perspective-taking questions targeting social cognition
* Social coaching from both course facilitators & parent(s)/carer(s)
* Homework exercises (with parent/carer assistance)
* Each session builds upon the previous week
Meet your social coach
* Certified PEERS Adolescent & Young Adult Social Skills course provider
* Masters of Teaching (Primary)
* Facilitator of Parenting Children with ADHD 6-week course since 2015
* Former RAISE mentor
* Founder & Organiser of ADHD Support Australia
* Advocating for & supporting the ADHD community since 2013
* Organiser of 80+ expert ADHD talks
* Author of ADHD Support Australia’s website
* Experienced Mum who’s navigated 23 years with an ADHD child, teen and now young adult
Is PEERS right for my teen?
Teens must …
* be between 13-17 (for the duration of the course)
* have social challenges
* be interested in attending the program
* agree to participate in the program voluntarily
* consistently attend the program; and
* a parent/carer must be willing to participate as the teen’s social coach
I want to help my teen improve socially – what now?
To help your teen improve their confidence socially and go on to create and maintain more meaningful connections email me email@example.com and leave your number and best time to be contacted and I will call you for a confidential 15-minute phone screen to assess suitability for the program and to answer any questions.
Following this call, to ensure the PEERS® program is a good fit for your teen and that they will feel comfortable attending and have positive outcomes, I’ll meet you and your young person one-on-one to understand their needs as well as what your family are seeking to achieve before you enrol in the program.
Parent Session: Mondays from 9th August 2021 @ 7-8.30pm
Teen Session: Tuesdays from 10th August 2021 @ 4.30-6.00pm
For 16 weeks finishing week beginning 23rd November 2021
So your investment for the August 2021 intake is $2,400 & includes:
* 1hr intake interview
* 16 x 90 min parent sessions
* 16 x 90 min teen sessions
* Weekly handouts/homework assignments
* Teen incentive prizes ($10 voucher for the weekly winner)
* Support throughout the 16-week program
Great value at $150 per week for the 2 x 90 minute sessions!
NDIS funding is available for this program depending on your particular plan.
If you’re not able to attend on the above dates/times but are interested in joining on a different day/time or a future course, please leave your details here or email me.
If you’d like to join the program in August 2021 please send me an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.